Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Making Bread Crumbs

I love when I have a use for something that I might throw out and that use saves me money. Around our house it seems that no one eats the crust of bread. I will sometimes but that is carbs and I try to avoid them or limit them at least. So when we are down to just the crusts in the bag. I put them in the freezer.

When I get a full bag or have the need for bread crumbs, I just pull them out. Plus them on a tray to thaw.


Then when they are thawed, I put them in the oven at a low temperature about 200 degrees F so they can dry out. I will flip them so both sides get dry.

I just break them into smaller pieces and put them in a blender. I just crumb them. If you don't want fine crumbs then you do have to watch and stop it before it gets too fine. Sometimes you get lumps remaining and my son thinks they are the greatest treat.


I then put the crumbs in a jar and put them in the freezer and pull them out when I need them. I use them for meatloaf, meatballs, and other things.  If we have lots and lots of bread crumbs, I will make chicken croquettes.

Here is my helper mixing up the meat for meatloaf. My mom is might be shocked that I make meatloaf. It was not my favorite meal growing up but I do like it and it is Miss K's favorite meal.


Stop by later to see how we used the blender this week in school.

What are some things that you make that use bread crumbs?


Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...