Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Homemade Sausage


Living overseas is full of challenges. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed those challenges until coming back to the USA. One of the things that I learned to make while we were overseas was breakfast sausage. We could get ground pork but could not find sausage or if we did find it, it was imported and expensive so I found a recipe and learned to make it.

1 pound bulk pork

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 sage

1/8 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp nutmet

1/4 tsp paprika

2 oz water

Mix it up and then fry a bit to see how it tastes and adjust as necessary.  I will often make 2 or 3 pounds at a time.

I made it the other day. Just to keep up that skill and for the sense of accomplishment. Then we had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I had a little helper making the biscuits.

The gravy was yummy.

My "white bread and gravy loving" daughter was enjoying this meal.

I know, this is a southern breakfast. I am married to a southern who suggested this. We had grits the morning before and my kids couldn't get enough of them.

2 comments:

  1. Yum... Looks delish! I would love for you to link this up at my Unwasted Homemaking Party :)!

    www.dontwasteyourhomemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does look yummy! I made biscuits and gravy (bacon, though) recently too. So good.
    You know, when we were in USA last summer, I bought sausage. It was disappointing. So you know what I did this week? Made my own sausage. Yep. I have gotten used to making it, so I did it here. It was far easier. I didn't have to grind the meat! And it came out GREAT! (Made sausage pinwheels.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...