Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cutting Practice - Life skills

Miss K is very independent. She loves to help and is quick to offer her help. It is a balance between allowing her to help and knowing what she is not ready to help with. I want her to learn to cook and one of the best ways to start is just helping in the kitchen and cutting things.



I have decided that cucumbers and zucchini are easy things for her to practice her cutting. We do have to watch when she is cutting cucumbers as more go to her mouth than to the salad.



We have two ceramic knives that we allow her to use. One is a bit chipped but still does a good job. It is about 12 years old and still cuts. I didn't realize how dull it was until I got a new one. She does cutting with someone watching to make sure she doesn't cut herself. Maybe I need someone to watch me as I cut myself last week twice.

It is fun to see her develop life skills and help the family. We ended up eating zucchini that evening because she had wanted to practice cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...