Thursday, February 6, 2014

Q is for Quitting

I am jumping in the middle of Blogging Through the Alphabet. So last week was Q but I will write about Q this week.

I Quit.

Sometimes I want to quit because it is too hard. Sometimes I want to quit because it is boring. Sometimes I want to quit because it is taking too long. Sometimes I want to quit because I want to do other things. I have lots of reasons for wanting to quit.

There are some things that I should quit but I am not thinking about those right now.

Really this is about not quitting. It is about finishing the task. Completing what you have begun.

I want my children to finish, to keep going even when it is hard. I don't want them to find excuses though if you are around our house for long you might hear some pretty funny excuses. (Miss K couldn't sit in the chair because it was too pokey. She couldn't go to bed because it was too old.) t continue pressing on to complete what I have been called to do. How do I keep from quitting?

Remember what I am called to do and who has called me to do it? In some areas it is easy to know that God has called me and so I continue on such as training my children. Somethings I begin and there might not be a God calling but those things should fit with my God calling and my priorities. I have not been called by God to knitting but it is something that I want to learn and it fits with my priorities.

Look to God for the strength to go on. When that feeling of "I just want to quit" comes, it is necessary to look to the one who will give the strength.

Focus on the end, the goal. It is easy to get caught up in the details, the struggle but we need to fix our eyes on the goal. Paul wrote in Philippians 3:14

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

I decided that I wanted to learn to knit. I am taking a class. I spent most of this week knitting and then ripping out what I did because I made a mistake. I wondering why I was doing it? Is it worth it? Maybe I should just quit. I decided that I wanted to continue because it is an example to my children that I continue to learn, that I keep going even when it is tough.

The same is for our calling to go overseas. We see that God has called us. He has provided. Right now we are waiting and this is when I need God's strength because the waiting gets hard. We continue waiting for our visa because of the goal to serve overseas.

I am not quitting.


I thought this was a great photo of not quitting. Bob went hiking up one of the mountains in the Lake District this summer. He didn't quit. He made it to the goal. He did it.

Do you have something that you want to quit?


Beth
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I want to quit driving my kids to school but then they wouldn't have the great Christian education they are receiving.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...