Thursday, January 12, 2012

Museum of Science and Industry

I had gotten some recommendations that this would be a good place to take the children while we were in Chicago. One friend had told me that it would take more than a day. We decided to take a day and go.  We were still a bit on East Coast time so we were up bright and early. We got there when it opened at 9:30.

It was Christmas and so we were able to see the Christmas tree display. I enjoyed that and I think there were too many other exciting things like planes, subs, tractors, that the kids didn't want to pause and look at them.



The trees were decorated from various countries of the world.



I think the highlight was going in the German U-505 -- a submarine. Our guide did a great job of telling the story of what it would be like to be living in the sub and also a bit of the story of this sub being captured. I know J was listening because he remembered the fact that it had 2 bathrooms for 50 people and for the first weeks one of the bathrooms was used to story food. Interesting facts that are remembered.



We were not allowed to take pictures in the sub and getting pictures in that area were difficult. To get the tour cost additional money but I would say that was worth it.



The farm section was fun. My children really are city slickers. We live in the city and love the city. Miss K wants to move to a bit city in China (we try to tell her that isn't happening). I did grow up in the country with a cornfield behind our house for many years.



Miss K enjoyed sitting on the tram. That must be the city girl in her coming out.

It was a fun day. By about 3:00 we were tired and had seen enough. It was a great day. I think it is a place that I wish I lived closer to visit more often. Not sure when we will get back to Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...