Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pop goes the jar

or so I hope they are all popping. I feel like I should be back on the prairie after the old fashioned picnic on Saturday and today it was canning and freezing.

I went to my mom's house. I think this is one of those community things that we don't always do. I have a memory of my grandparents coming to our house when we were young and a whole day event of making chow chow. Anyway, back on track of today and not on the memory. My mom has a "summer kitchen".

A propane burner on the patio but it heats up the outside and not the kitchen and today there was enough heat outside.

We did peaches. My mom helped. Oops, I forgot to let her look at the picture but she can see it now. I have a number of pictures of her in that corner of the kitchen working but today it was canning peaches.

Then my mom suggested that we had time as it was only noon and we had 14 jars of peaches ready for the canner that if I wanted to we could do tomatoes. So I went and got a basket of tomatoes.

I think we did 13 jars of tomatoes. My $9 basket of tomatoes will give us lots of spaghetti sauce, chili, borsch, and other yummy things.

I came home and froze some of the peaches for on our yogurt and in smoothies.

I am so thankful to my mom for her help today. We will enjoy this throughout the year. My mom really has taught me so much of what I know in the kitchen. Thanks mom.

Here is a picture for today.

My mom does my grandmother's laundry and I just liked the looks of the three dresses hanging there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...