Monday, February 9, 2015

Organising Recipes

The assignment this week from Michelle at 34 weeks of Clean was to organise recipes. I had done quite a bit of that before we moved but decided that it was time to go through them again.

Here is my shelves of cookbooks. I find it interesting to see what cookbooks other people have so I will share mine.


Bottom Shelf
More with Less - I use that quite a bit and it looks like I use it which spots and splatters. This has  lentil recipes, chicken & pineapple, English Muffins, white sauce and other recipes.
Betty Crocker's Vegetarian Cookbook - there are a number of recipes from that that we enjoy
Betty Crocker's New Cookbook - This is a great go to book for things like meatloaf, cookies, Alfredo, and a few other things.
Red notebook which fits my A4 paper - I did go through that and put everything in the big blue notebook.
Big Blue Notebook - This fits 8.5x11" paper. This has printouts and magazine recipes. I did find some things that I need to try. These are all in page protectors.

Top Shelf
Extending the Table - This book has recipes from around the world. I have found a number of lentil and curry recipes in that book.
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes - I have used this in the past but currently I don't have a refrigerator large enough to store dough.
Wholesome Home Cooking - I have used this some but I think this is a cookbook that I should explore a bit more.
Mennonite Country Style Recipes - I use this for a number of recipes including lots of my Christmas cookies.
Delia's Complete Cookery Course - this was recommended as a great British cooking resource.
Jamie Oliver Comfort Food - I just got this for Christmas and have not cooked from it much.
The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - I bought this a few years ago and have found a number of recipes that we love in here.

I enjoy looking through cookbooks. I did declutter before we moved.

Here is the work in progress as I sorted through the recipes. I did find quite a number of pages to get rid of and also found a yummy recipe that I used to make.



Here is the stack of papers that I decided to get rid of. For some I decided I will not use the recipe and don't need to keep it.


My big goal in this area it to have a chart of meals we like referencing where the recipe is found. I have not decided if that is a real goal or just one of those dreams.

I do have this done on a small scale for soup, salads, and side dishes. I need to make some better tabs.


My recipes are organised and I did find a few new things to cook. Here is the sausage recipe I discovered.

Italian Sausage & White Bean Bake

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb Italian sausages, cut crosswise in 2 in pieces
3 leeks (white and green parts) I used onions
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 in pieces
3 clovers garlic, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans white beans such as cannelloni, rinsed
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I skipped this and maybe added some dried parsley)
salt and pepper
2 cups fresh coarse bread crumbs

Heat over to 375. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages until browned, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Wipe out the pot and head 1 Tbsp of the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices; bring to a boil. Stir in the beans parsley and 1/4 tsp each sale and pepper. Transfer to a 3 qt casserole dish.
In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining oil and sprinkle over the bean mixture. Be until golden brown and bubbling. 25 to 30 minutes


Beth
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Beth! You and I both need some fancy tabs for our binders! ;) The Artisan bread cookbook is one we have been eyeing for a while now- is it worth buying? Thanks for sharing your progress, a yummy recipe and for linking up! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you did a great job weeding out the papers and recipes that you didn't think you would use. The sausage and bean bake recipe sounds good. I'm going to bookmark it for another day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...