Sunday, May 11, 2014

Adjusting - Learning the Money

It is time to learn and understand the money specifically the coins when you can no longer zip your wallet. All of that was squeezed into my wallet.




Here is a bit of what I have learned.

The pound is divided into 100 pence. The symbol for penny is p so 50p would be half a pound. It is pronounced 50 p. The coins include 1 penny, 2 pence, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, 50 pence, 1 pound and 2 pound. So that is eight different coins that get in my wallet. Americans basically have four coins in circulation -- penny (1 cent), nickel (5 cents), dime (10 cents),  and quarter (25 cents). I doubled my coins, no wonder my wallet was getting full.

The 1 penny and 2 pence are both copper. The 1 penny is the smaller of the two.

The 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, and 50 pence are all silver.  The 5 pence is the smallest about the size of a nickel. The 10 pence is about the size of a quarter. Both of these coins are round. The 20 pence is between the 5 pence and 10 pence in size but it is 7 sided. The 50 pence is also 7 sided and the largest of the coins.  The 50 pence is used in vending machines and needs to be able to roll so while it is 7 sided it does roll.

Then there is the £1 and the £2 coins.  The £1 is gold and the £2 is silver and gold. The £2 is the larger of the two. The slang term for £1 is quid. You could say that cost me 1 quid or maybe it cost 5 quid.

Here is some information about the coins from the Royal Mint.

I have found Project Britian to be a great website for learning various things about life here.

The banknotes include £5, £10, £20, and £50. These are different colours and also different sizes. They are not shorter than American bills and the width is greater so my husband noticed that they stick out of his wallet.

Another thing that I have had to learn is how to type the currency sign on the computer. For my Mac it is option 3. I have also learned how to write it so I can put it in my planner or other various notes to myself. The symbol is from medieval Latin documents where the words libra, solidus, and denarius (£sd) referred to pounds shillings and pence.

I think I know the coins now so I am ready to use some of the coins in my wallet.

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...