Friday, July 29, 2011

Whoopie Pies

I grew up eating whoopie pies back before they were a national and international treat. I saw them in Hong Kong when we were there. My mom used to make them and wrap them individually, put them in the freezer and we were pack them in our lunches. I have thought about making them for some time and decided that Miss K's birthday celebration with her cousins would be the perfect time to make them. I do recommend waiting for a cool day when you want the oven on for hours to warm up the house and not on a hot day.

I know there are lots of recipes out there but I decided to use my mom's recipe, the one I grew up on.

 

1 cup Crisco

2 cups sugar

1 cup sour milk

4 cups flour

1 cup cocoa

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

4 eggs saving 2 hites

Mix together then add

1 cup hot water

2 tsp baking soda

Mix. Droe tsp on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 min. Fill when cool.

Filling

4 tbl milk

2 egg whites

1 tsp vanilla

4 tbl flour

2 tbl powdered sugar

Mix then add

1 1/2 cup Crisco

4 cups powdered sugar

Beat till fluffly.

Can add Fluff for flavor.

Fill, eat, and enjoy

The tasters loved them.

We enjoyed them. They are all gone. I guess we will have to make some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...