Thursday, October 8, 2015

Down Syndrome Awareness Month - Lessons I have learned

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month and throughout this month I will share different things related to Down Syndrome. Bits and pieces of Miss K's story and be found through out the blog, here is one bit.


As I think of the lessons learned, one of the first things I remember is learning in new and deeper ways that God is in control. There are so many little details of God guiding us -- changing doctors and hospitals which meant we were at a hospital with a NICU when she was born instead of the small hospital that would have meant she would move to the national hospital which I did not like. A cardiologist that was willing to perform open heart surgery 72 hours after she had a major issue during the heart catheterisation. The comfort that I found in all of that was that this was not a surprise to God. He knew all along that she would be born in Taiwan, that she would have Down Syndrome. He had it all planned and it was not a surprise. God's sovereignty was a lesson I learned.

I also learned in new ways that God is our provider. Twenty-six days in the NICU, two major surgeries, numerous tests and procedures at a cost of about US$300 for us. God is the provider. A few days before she was to be released a nurse looked at her account and told us that it was about NT$330,000 or maybe it was NT$190,000 (the numbers are a bit fuzzy). When we went to make arrangements for a payment plan we were told that the bill was NT$9000 that it had been covered by a high authority. Yes, the highest authority that there is. There are so many other ways that God provided -- a physical therapist who donated her time, a special needs program not far from our house, a Christian nurse who sat and prayed with us the night we thought she was not going to make it. God is our provider.

I have learned that God loves us and in all things God is good even when it doesn't seem that way to us. I can keep trusting God. These are things that I need to hold on to each day.

I am thankful for the things I have learned about God from having a child with Down Syndrome.

Beth
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This brought tears to my eyes. It's so good that you remember these details of how God provided in such amazing ways. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful testimony, Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your Down Syndrome posts! Reading how the Lord blessed you spiritually through Miss K's condition was a blessing and I thank you. I have read 3 now--how does time pass so fast! 3 Octobers since I began reading here. Amazing!

    Have a blessed weekend, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. Beth, you are a special lady and you bless everyone through this blog. I know I am thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful reminder of God's provision and His sovereignty! Thank you so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...