Sunday, May 26, 2013

Soft Pretzels

We were a bit homesick this week, missing the town where we used to live so tonight I decided to make a snack that would remind us of home. We didn't make them often when we lived there because it was easy to get them when we were out. We had two soft pretzels shops in town. In fact at church on Sundays there were soft pretzels out during the fellowship time -- no donuts but we had soft pretzels.

I mixed up the dough. This is a recipe that came from my mom years ago and is so simple.  I thought I had it with me but I didn't so I called her to get the recipe. That is what you do right, you call your mom.

Then we shaped the pretzels. The kids tried to remember what they learned when we went to the pretzel bakery but they were having a hard time.

Miss K was working hard to roll the dough and then shape her pretzel.


 J was having a hard time. He could get it twisted but then forgot the flip.



We boiled them in baking soda water and sprinkled salt on them. I have a bag of pretzel salt that we bought in one of the bulk food stores back home. The pretzel salt is nice because it is bigger grains. Our tray was ready to go in the oven.


While the pretzels were baking we had 15 minutes to clean up the kitchen.


Doesn't that just look yummy and ready to eat. I have discovered that these are really best when they are warm. So we got out the mustard and enjoyed our snack.


Miss K has become a mustard lover. She really likes the sweet and hot mustard from Trader Joe's. Too bad it is a seasonal item.


We enjoyed our snack and talked a bit about things we miss back home. The pretzels tasted extra good tonight and it might be because it has been so long since we have had the homemade soft pretzels.

Here is the recipe so you don't have to call my mom.

1 1/2 cup water
4 1/2 cup flour
2 packages yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients and knead. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes. Then form pretzels. This recipe makes about 10 to 15 pretzels depending on the size.

Baking soda wash
1 quart water
4 teaspoons baking soda

Bring this to a boil. After forming the pretzels, drop in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Place on a greased baking sheet. While they are still damp sprinkle salt on the pretzels.

Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes

I made a half a recipe and we had 8 small pretzels which was just enough for the four of us.
One package of yeast equals 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast.

Enjoy!

Beth
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Since I use yeast from a jar, how much would 2 packages equal? I think I would like to try this recipe.
    Myra, from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look SO good! We live outside of Philadelphia, so my kids have been raised on soft pretzels, lol! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/11/try-new-recipe-tuesday-november-12.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived outside of Philadelphia for four years and we loved getting them as a treat. Now it is not so easy but this recipe is easy.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...