Thursday, December 5, 2013

Lentil Challenge - Lemon Lentil Soup

"Oh my word. This is delicious." Those were the words I heard at dinner when I made this soup.

When I saw the recipe with lemon in it, it sounded a bit Mediterranean. Add some feta cheese and you have a Mediterranean dish.

You know you still have a few pounds of lentils and are on the lookout for new recipes when you visit someone's home and see a lentil recipe hanging on the bulletin board and ask for a copy. (I am an introvert and that is just not something that I do. I am still shocked that I did it but after making the recipe I am so glad that I did.)

I have no idea what cookbook this came out of remember I just saw it pinned to a bulletin board and asked for a copy.

It was so good. I just wanted to taste it.
I forgot to take a photo before I began eating. 
I think I should have diced my carrots a bit smaller. 

Lemon Lentil Soup

1 tbsp Olive (or cooking) oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 1/2 tbsp 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp  chopped fresh rosemary (1/4 tsp dried crushed)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried crushed chillies
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups dried red split lentils or brown lentils

6 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp pepper

crumbled feta cheese
chopped fresh parsley
to top the bowls of soup

Heat olive oil in large saucepan or medium-high. Add onion. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion starts to brown.

Add next 8 ingredients. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until carrot is tender-crisp.

Add chicken stock and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very soft. Discard bay leaf. If using brown lentils it will take longer.

228 Calories 
4.3 g Total fat (1.8 g Mono; 0.5 g Poly; 1.7 g Sat)
5 mg Cholesterol
35 g Carbohydrate
6 g Fiber
15 g Protein
995 mg Sodium

Here are my other posts regarding the Lentil challenge.

Lentil Challenge
Lentil Challenge - More-With-Less
Lentil Challenge - Lentils & Rice Taco Style
Lentil Challenge - Lentil Soup

Beth
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. I've never noticed dried crushed chilis in the spice aisle. Did you have any trouble finding this, and would crushed red pepper work to substitute?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...