Friday, October 3, 2014

W is for Walk



We live in the city and we do quite a bit of walking. We walk down the hill to the store or to the post office to mail a letter. We walk up the hill to the park. We walk down the hill and up a hill to church. We walk. Certain family members that shall remain nameless but are of the small variety don't like to walk and will ask to drive but unless it is raining we will often walk.

Thinking about all the walking we do caused me to think about walk in the Bible. Paul writes to the Ephesians urging them to walk in a manner worthy of the calling.  Walk is the everyday thing that we do. It is not the fast race that wears us out nor is it sitting. Walking is moving us in a direction we need to go.

Paul gives specifics of how we are to walk with humility, gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love and to maintain unity of the Spirit. When we are humble we are thinking of others, we put others before ourselves. Gentleness is now we are relating to others. With patience, I think I would like to skip that one. I am not always patient with my children. I like things done when I want it done. I want to start school and get it done not look out at the road work. Patience I need more of that as I walk along the way. Our bearing with one another is not just to put up with one another but it is to be done in love. If we are doing each of these then to have unity will be easy. I think I need to do some spiritual exercise.

So as I walk around the city going up and down I need to also remember that I am to be walking spiritually in a manner that is pleasing to God.


Beth

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...