Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sew a Needle Pulling Thread

A sewing box just for Miss K

Often when I get my sewing machine out, Miss K wants to sew as well. I love the fact that she wants to do it both for learning the skill and also for just her desire to try things. She doesn't find much that she isn't willing to try.The challenge is often how to adapt it so that she can do it. I need to put it on her level, something that she is able to do. 

I saw a few ideas online and decided that I needed to create a sewing box for her. I filled it with things that I thought she would enjoy and also be able to use.

An embroidery hoop gives the stability to the fabric which reduces one thing that she needs to do. 


I gave her some counted cross stitch fabric that I am not using. The holes in that make it a bit easier to poke. We used embroidery thread as well. The counted cross stitch needles are a bit bigger so it makes it easier for her little fingers.



Cutting fabric or ribbon seems to be one of her favourite things to do it. I included some scissors and both ribbon and old fabric that she can just cut up as much as she wants. I get the Hoover out when she is done.


She was working to sew a button on and then did some free sewing as well.  I think she did a great job.


The basket includes
an embroidery hoop
counted cross stitch fabric
embroidery thread and needles
buttons
ribbon
scissors
a zipper just to play with

This has given Miss K an opportunity to sew and work on building her sewing skills.

Beth
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. So sweet! You are a wonderful mother and Miss K is so blessed. She did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair is so pretty! Lighter?
    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in the sewing room more lately, but my sewing room has always been "off limits" to the kids (unless they were nursing). I remember making up a basket for my eldest daughter, and I remember my grandmother making up a sewing basket for me. :) Such a special skill to pass down.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...