Saturday, August 30, 2014

Week in Review - August 29, 2014

It is hard to believe it is the end of August. August has been cool at the point of being some of the lowest recorded temperatures for our area. This is our third week back to school. 

J came to breakfast the other day with his deck of cards. So we decided to play Concentration 10. I pulled all the kings, queens, jokers, jacks, and 10's. I also matched to make sure that we had sets that would equal 10 only because I wasn't sure we were working with a full deck. We then shuffled and placed the cards on the table. The idea was to get two cards that equaled 10. I lost.

I decided to extend the learning fun and reached my Mega-Fun Card-game Math book and found another game called Sum 20. We played that. I lost. That is okay the goal was to have fun and use some math. 


The kids got in the therapy box and this is one of our favourite things to play with. I really need to get a therapy schedule so that we are regularly doing things.


We spent two days reading about Columbus or as Mystery of History calls him Christobal Colon. It was total last minute pull out the Interactive 3-D Maps: American History.


The one for Columbus included the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria that you put through a slit and could sail along the ocean blue.


A treat this week was to head to a local restaurant that recently opened. It is a hot dog place. J got a Sloppy Joe dog. He said it would give him enough meat.


I think I have found a schedule that is working with Miss K. I rotate through things a bit with her and that seems to be helping. We are going between Math-U-See and Saxon. I have found that gives a nice balance.

It is interesting to observe how the kids are adjusting and blending the culture into our lives. J has begun to use the £ symbol for money problems even though his math book has the $.

The other day J was writing and asked if he should write colour American or British. I told him I didn't care as long as he is consistent. He then asks me how to spell it British. So that conversation was happening at the school table.

My husband was heading out and says, "I am going for a walk."

I respond to J, "o-u-r".

My husband hears that and says, "Yes, I am."

We all got a good laugh about that when we realised what was happening.

That wraps up our week.

Beth
Pin It


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the school year is going great for you. We enjoyed using the interactive maps, too. I love the card games and the hot dog! We have a favorite hot dog joint, too. Great week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...